For me this year's music discovery came through travel across Canada to places like Halifax, Winnipeg, Montreal and Vancouver coupled with a few trips stateside to NYC, Austin. Of course I also learned about new music through music streaming services, radio stations from around the globe and believe it or not on music television;)
I love this time of year because it's when I get to make lots of new playlists. When I look back it always amazes me how much I've actually done of the course of 12 months. It's crazy the amount of music that I've been lucky enough to see live, hear for the first time - or even hear differently for the 800th time. Like most people I've got a ferocious appetite for NEW music and will go to any length to discover and be a part of it all. I truly love working around music.
With out further adieu here's what I've been listening to throughout 2014...
I've broken this out into a few categories including my top 5 favourite albums, top 5 favourite songs, top 5 videos and my top 5 favourite concerts. If you have 7 hours and 43 minutes to spare here are my top 110 favourite songs of the year (and growing) - Gregg's Best of 2014
Top 5 Albums of 2014
- Sam Smith - 'The Lonely Hour'
- The Black Keys - 'Turn Blue'
- Against Me! – Transgender Dysphoria Blues
- Sam Roberts Band - 'Low Fantasy'
- Ed Sheeran - 'X'
Top 5 Songs of 2014
- Tobias Jesso Jr. - 'True Love'
- Belle and Sebastian - 'The Party Line'
- Sam Smith - 'I've Told You Now'
- SonReal - 'LA'
- Ed Sheeran – Afire Love
Top 5 Music Videos of 2014
- Duke Dumont - 'I Got You'
- Sam Roberts Band - 'Shapeshifters'
- Chet Faker - 'Gold'
- Cherub - 'Doses and Mimomsas'
- Arcade Fire - 'We Exist'
Top 5 Concerts/Shows of 2014
- Sam Smith at St. David's Communion Church, Austin Texas SXSW
- Kasabian at Sound Academy, Toronto
- Against me! at Olympia Centre Stage, Halifax
- Arctic Monkeys at Molson Amphitheatre, Toronto
- Arcade Fire at Molson Amphitheatre, Toronto
Thanks for reading/listening.
Have a safe and happy holiday season.