|Art by: Phil Fung|
Much like a delicious treat - the perfect pop song can stir-up feelings of guilt, regret and even embarrassment. Perhaps a bit of an exaggeration - but I'm guilty of turning my own headphones down on the subway from fear that the people around me might be judging. I do it less and less these days.
It's sometimes called a guilty pleasure and can even be classified as an ear-worm. At the end of the day they're simply AMAZING songs designed for mass appeal and make people happy.
Be it a whistling hook like in Peter Bjorn and John's 'Young Folk' or Foster The People's 'Pumped Up Kicks' - an anthem like Jay Z's 'Empire State of Mind' or something with repetition like Martin Solveig's 'Hello' or Rihanna's 'Umbrella'. These are all PERFECT pop songs.
Here are a few that have come out in recent years I love...
- Carly Rae Jepsen - 'Call Me Maybe' so big and about to get bigger :)
- Miley Cyrus - 'Party In The U.S.A.'
- LMFAO - 'Party Rock Anthem'
- Pitbull feat Neyo, Afro Jack and Nayer - 'Give Me Everything'
- The Backstreet Boys - 'I Want It That Way' *my personal favourite perfect pop song
Creating hits is no easy task and so if there's a secret formula then so be it. Keep it coming - this stuff makes the masses sing, dance and smile.
Thanks for reading/listening