I'm not normally a fan of remixes at all. That being said I have managed to throw together a solid list of remixes that I think trump their original.
I used to think it was lazy for a DJ or artist to even attempt to do this and pass it off as their own work. I've grown to understand it more in recent years. I now look at it as an homage from one artist to another, or a piece of music, that they adore. Other times it's the band/artist themselves that wants to include a variation of their own work. It's actually pretty awesome when it's done correctly although often times it's not - so it's a fine line to walk.
Here's a list of some of my personal favourite remixes from my music collection.
- The Hours - 'See The Light (Calvin Harris Remix)' *this is awesome
- Bob Marley - 'Turn The Lights Down Low (featuring Lauryn Hill)'
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs - 'Heads Will Roll (A-Trak Remix)'
- Notorious B.I.G. - 'One More Chance (Remix feat Faith Evans)'
- Paul Weller - 'Wild Wood (Portishead Remix)' *Fly on the wall b-sides and rarities disc 1. AMAZING
- Tokyo Police Club - 'What's Your Favourite Colour (Punches Remix)'
- Robert Miles - 'Children (Dream Version)'
- OMD - 'History of Modern (Remix)'
- Oasis - 'I'm Out of Time (Remix)' *I had to throw an Oasis in - but it's legit as it showcases Liam's vocals
- Pearl Jam - 'Alive (Remix)' *I'm not sure if this counts as it was simply from a redux album. Regardless it's still an EPIC track:)
As you can see the word 'REMIX' doesn't always have to equate to that of a dance version of a track. It's simply a new take on the original and sometimes even better.
Thanks for reading/listening.