Saturday, December 4, 2010

I'm Still Smiling

Hello Friends,

Last night was one for those great nights in music. The stars aligned and the people came out of the woodwork for a classic sing-along.

The scene was Lee's Palace on Bloor Street in Toronto. The band was The Lowest of the Low and the mood was pure nostalgic bliss.

The night was one of 2 sold-out shows for the band as they celebrated the 20th anniversary to their classic album 'Shakespeare My Butt'. They played the album from start to finish (in actual order) and then played some additional hits. It was wonderful and I'm still smiling.

The best thing was seeing the grins on the band member's faces throughout the whole show. I don't know how they actually sang with those smiles ear-to-ear.

For me personally it was sweet to see so many familiar faces of those whom I admire in this business. People that I had heard of long before I got in to this industry and many that helped me along the way. It was satisfying to see them all happy as a bit of them drifted back to the early 90s in the greatest rock n' roll city in the World. That same city that much of the band's lyrical content is about from mentions of The Carlaw Bridge, Danforth pub 'The Only' and landmark references like "You nearly kissed me blind on Bathurst Street it's true" from 'Bleed a Little While tonight'.

I was 15 years old in 1991 and fondly remember hearing this album on CFNY while tuning in to 'The Thursday 30'. If you're not familiar with this band and album then I strongly suggest a spin from cover-to-cover when you have some time. It's simple - it's catchy and will give you a glimpse into 1990's Canadian music scene. It's guaranteed to provoke some memories of simpler times in music.

"Well I've kissed you in France and I've kissed you in Spain,
I've kissed you in places I better not name,
And I've seen the sun go down on Sacre Coeur,
But I like it much better going down on you,
Ah, you know that's true."

Rosy and Grey - The Lowest of the Low *the whole crowd was singing this one

Here's the closer from the album and show 'Henry Needs a New Pair of Shoes'

Thanks to those of you that put this anniversary together it was excellent.

Thanks for reading/listening,

Gregg


No comments:

Post a Comment