Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Violent Femmes

Hello Friends,

I heard a DJ spin 'Blister in the Sun' by the Violent Femmes last night and it blew my mind. I don't think I'd heard this track in at least 10 years. The song instantly took me back to grade 7 when I was a mere 12 years of age.

They were a big band in the eyes of my elementary school friends. The grade 8 girls were really into the likes of Depeche Mode, Housemartins, Violent Femmes, Jesus & Mary Chain and The Cure to name a few. It was at a time when CFNY was a radio station that played the Violent Femmes bookended by De La Soul and Blue Rodeo. The CFNY Roadshow even did a few dances at our school at that time.

This was the same year I went to my first concert. Depeche Mode at the CNE stadium on their Violator tour. Violator is easily one of my Top 10 albums of all time. I digress...

Here a few Violent Femmes songs to jog your memory...
Here's a couple videos that also remind me of this great era that helped me to evolve and fall in love with music.
I love that these all still stand up today.

Thanks for reading/listening,

Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment