Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Cure Mixed Up

Hi Friends,

I heard The Cure's 'Pictures of You' on NME radio today and was instantly transported back to 1990.  It was the summer between grade 8 and 9 for me when music was everything.

The Cure 'Mixed-Up' was a cassette in my older brother's collection at that time.  I remember fondly reading each and every lyric while playing the hell out of it on his ghetto blaster.  The strange thing was this was my first introduction to The Cure but the whole album was remixed.  This version of 'Pictures of You' was actually and 'Extended dub mix'.

I was already a massive fan of Depeche Mode at the time - so this was an easy addition to my repertoire.  Robert Smith was scary, daring and down right sad.  I loved every note of this album.

It's amazing how music has the ability to take you back, spark old emotions and do so in the most innocent of ways.  It's truly what keeps me going each day.

This is also why radio, television and a voice behind the music will always play a vital role in the business.  It's human emotion and recommendations that bring these memories and help create new ones.  My brother was my DJ and gateway to music growing up - I can't thank him enough for that.

This is a just a quick nostalgic post as I reflect upon the 13 year old version of myself.


Thanks for reading/listening.

Gregg

1 comment:

  1. Gregg, Just left your place tonight after your birthday gathering and decided to check out some of your old blogs. This album was indeed a classic and definitely reminds me of that high school period along with other classics....Depeche Mode's "Violator" and of course, The Stone Roses seff-titled disc (I mean cassette). Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete