Sunday, March 10, 2013

Nostalgia

Nostalgia describes a sentimental longing for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.  

I had a few nostalgic moments like this today.  They  were triggered by a songs on the radio while driving. 

It's not often I drive these days but I needed to rent one for a few hours today.  I really only miss driving for one reason - and that is the ability to play music really loud flying down the highway.  It doesn't matter if it's the cheesiest pop track of all time or the most sentimental slow jam - it all sounds that much better when you have your hands on the wheel and foot on the gas peddle.

I chose to scan the radio for the first 5 minutes and stumbled across The 80s show on Boom FM.  I also lucked out because it wasn't just Duran Duran and your typical stuff.  I heard Kim Mitchell's 'All We Are' into Gino Vanelli's 'Wild Horses'.  These 2 songs transported me back to the mid 80s in the back of our family Buick driving along the 401 on a Sunday night.  The family was usually on our way back from an out of town hockey tournament and my Dad had the radio cranked to whatever station you could pick-up along the way.  The only song missing was Chicago's 'You're The Inspiration'.  Man I love that track.  These are fond memories I'll cherish forever.

On my return trip I heard Faith No More's classic song 'Epic'.  Wow was this song amazing the first time I heard it in 1990.  I remember buying the cassette for 'The Real Thing' at A&M Records in the Pickering mall in that summer.  It was on sale so I also grabbed Billy Idol's 'Charmed Life'.  I skateboarded to the mall and then went directly to my friend Patrick's house to hang out and listen to them both.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  It wasn't yesterday - that was 23 year's ago.

Peter Cetera - 'The Glory of Love'

Faith No More - 'Epic'

Billy Idol - 'Cradle of Love'

Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment