Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Nirvana Nevermind

Hello Friends,

I have to admit that I was never a Nirvana fan growing up. I'm not sure why to be honest but it just didn't do it for me at the time. It's strange I guess because their second album 'Nevermind' came out and took over the World in 1991 just as I went into grade 9.

That Fall's student body elections (do they still do that?) saw 8 out of the 10 candidates for President walk in to do their speeches while 'Smells Like Teen Spirit" played on the loud speakers. One of the guys actually played it on guitar. That same guy is now an actor today - but I digress...

The reason I wanted to talk about Nirvana today was simply because 'Come As You Are' was served up to me on shuffle yesterday. It blew my fucking mind. The production and clarity in this song is unreal. I've listened to this track at least 10 times since then. I'm actually listening to the album as I type this.

I did some digging to find out why I wasn't loving Nirvana at that time. It turns out that I was listening, eating, sleeping and breathing what was known as the 'Manchester scene' at that same time. The scene consisted of the The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Charlatans and The Inspiral Carpets (Noel Gallagher was their roadie at that time) to name a few. It was my first real knowledge and love of something that felt like my own. I have my brother to thank for that as he always had the cassette to the debut Stone Roses album in the tape deck of my Dad's van.

Nevermind is now almost 20 years old and is such an iconic album - to say the least. The imagery of the cover and the movement and scene that they brought is unheard of today. Drake is actually wearing a 'Nevermind' shirt to pay tribute to it in the last issue of Q Magazine. For the first time in the 20 years (almost 20) since this album came out I finally get it and appreciate it.

I leave you with one song today 'Come As You Are' - wow what a tune and iconic music video for a generation. I'm sorry it took me so long.

Thanks for listening/reading.

Gregg Stewart

1 comment:

  1. This album marked grade 10 for me. I had it on tape and had to repair it more than once (ohhh Christ I'm old). This and "Pills n Thrills and Bellyaches" were so indicative of my music of 1990.

    S

    ReplyDelete