I grew up in the burbs in a town called Pickering just outside Toronto. It's now a city, based on population, but still has the feel of a town in that the people all know one another and there's a sense of community. It's been ages since I lived there - but I still get that sense when I visit.
I had a conversation about this very town the other day. Growing up I had always heard a few rumours of some famous people coming from Pickering at one time or another - but back then it all seemed like they were just rumours. Rumours like former New York Islander's Captain Mike Bossy, rocker Neil Young and white rapper Snow were the big standouts. Lukily today we have Wikipedia to find this stuff out allowing us to confirm and be proud of where we come from.
It seems that the town with a Nuclear Powerplant has indeed given the World some amazing musicians over the years. Here's a list of the one's I've dug up...
- Boi-1da - Grammy nominated and producer of Drake's 'Thank Me Later'
- Neil Young - Rock Legend of some of the biggest songs ever recorded like 'Heart of Gold'
- Eon Sinclair - Bass player for the Ska/Punk/Rock outfit 'Bedouin Soundclash' *brilliant track
- Sarah Slean - singer songwriter 'I can't find this official video but what a wonderful song' *I was in grade 11 art class with her:)
- Snow - I can't find proof of this one - but rumour has it he went to Dunbarton HS *I went there too:) remember this monster track? so big that Jim Carrey did his own take on 'In Living Colour'
Sadly in doing this research I've come to learn that the great Mike Bossy isn't from Pickering after all but the tough guy hockey player Sean Avery is.
Thanks for reading/listening.