Thursday, May 26, 2011

Live Music Reigns

Hi friends,

Sometimes I have to pinch myself as to what I'm doing for a living. These past couple of months have afforded me some truly amazing musical experiences by way of live shows and music festivals.

March was crazy as I went from Canadian Music Week to South By South West, in Austin, and then The 40th Anniversary Juno Awards. Had this been a regular desk job I'm certain I'd have burnt out...but seeing new bands and some giants like The Strokes was nothing but fuel to the fire.

April began with a band I was introduced to at SXSW. It was a magical little Monday night as The Boxer Rebellion took stage at a sold out Horseshoe show. They really are worth keeping an eye on. This guy's voice is like a young and happier Morrissey - give this track a spin.

The next show was the mighty Biffy Clyro at The Mod Club Theatre. This band are on the brink to breaking out Worldwide. They're opening for Foo Fighters right now across the US and then in Europe this summer. Try out your new favourite song here. This is just the tip of the iceberg for this trio from Scotland.

The month of May stepped up to the occasion too. It began with a small club showcase for British rapper Tinie Tempah. This youngster's been blowing up in Europe for the past year and now sits comfortably inside the Top 20 on Billboard in North America. With a few more collaborations I'm certain that Tinie is going to be huge:) Top rhymes from this chap to including..."You'll find me on a table with some vodka and tequila, surrounded by some bunnies and it ain't fuckin' Easter" as heard on this track - Miami to Ibiza.

May continues to deliver as well - with a show this weekend from Glasvegas at Lee's Palace. The month began with a show from Mr. Neil Young at Massey Hall which was fantastic. The next show took me by surprise and opened my eyes to R&B shows in general. Saturday May 14th saw Akon open for entertainer extraordinaire Usher. I may have been 1 of 3 men in the building but I'm glad I got to see this guys perform. He puts on one of the most entertaining shows around. Hit after hit and chalk full of beautiful women and amazing choreography.

The latest show I went to was Adele at Air Canada Centre last week. She floats in on a cloud of perfection and sings her albums effortlessly with grace. She truly deserves the title and recognition she's getting around the World at this time. Check this track out if you've not had a chance 'Turning Tables' .

So what does June have in store? Sam Roberts Band at Massey Hall June 4th for starters. And oh yeah, the Much Music Video Awards on June 19th featuring Lady Gaga, The Black keys, Bruno Mars, Selena Gomez, Avril Lavigne, City and Colour and many more yet to be announced.

If I could be so bold as to give you one bit of advice - it would be for you to get out there and see more live music. It's not something that can be captured on camera. Music is meant to be an experience and cherished.

Thanks for reading/listening,

Gregg Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment