Sunday, June 10, 2012

Summer 2012

It may not officially be summer as yet - but shorts and music outside mean summer up here in the great white north.  It's mid June and it's a very exciting time of year.

One of my all time favourite places in the summer is the lawn of the Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto.  I've seen some of my favourite shows there including the likes of RadioheadOasis, City and Colour  and The Up In Smoke Tour.  You may not have the best sight lines from the lawn but when the weather's right and the sun's going down - the acoustics and atmosphere are tough to beat.  I've actually left better seats on a few occasions retiring to those lawns.

Toronto isn't actually known for its outdoor festival scene but this year looks to change all of that. Alongside the regular announcements at the Amphitheatre there are many others popping up across this fair city.  From Downsview's latest stage (Foster the People and Kimbra will be debuting on June 19th) to Old Fort York for Hard Toronto on August 4th - there's something for everyone in 2012.

It all kicks off this week as NXNE Music Festival  takes over Toronto's clubs and outdoor spaces like Dundas Square.  I truly wish this festival were a week later as I never get to enjoy it because of our music awards at MuchMusic on the Sunday.  *Please move it by a week if you read this Andy and Yvonne:)

I will however be lucky enough to see Metric this Tuesday as they make a rare club appearance.  The band's latest offering is being released that day and so it'll be awesome to hear the new songs first hand in their home town.

I'd be remise if I didn't tell you how excited I am for this Sunday's MuchMusic Video Awards at 9 ET / 6 PT (plug).  It's the biggest spectacle on Queen Street each year and boasts the biggest stars in the world.  This year we've got Katy Perry, LMFAO, Justin Bieber, Carly Rae Jepsen and many more.  Like them or not - these artists realize how unique of an award show it is and bring their energy ten folds.  I'm excited for all the acts but especially pumped to help introduce Ed Sheeran to the Canadian viewers.  He will be a superstar soon and rightfully so as he's fantastic.

There are many more shows and festivals to check out this summer.  Here's a quick list of shows I recommend as I'll be trying my best to get to them all.


I truly hope you're able to get out and see some live music this summer.

Gregg

PS - Catch The 2012 MuchMusic Video Awards Live Sunday June 17th at 9 pm :)

No comments:

Post a Comment