Monday, August 27, 2012

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band | Toronto 2012

It's taken me a few days to process - but Friday night's Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band concert in Toronto was one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced.  I had a smile on my face for almost 4 hours straight.

When I was in grade 2 my teacher, Mrs. McGowan, dressed up as 'The Boss' for Halloween.  She was Bruce on the cover of the 'Born In The USA' album cover and it was amazing.  My brother had that cassette and it never left the deck of his ghetto blaster that whole year.

I listened to the full 'Born In The USA' album a few times on a flight to Denver this past January.  It was perfect and instantly took me back to those days in 1984.  I could remember the wood stained wallpaper in my brother's bedroom along with all 26 NHL hockey pennants he had on the walls.  Music can truly act as a time machine in a way that nothing else can.

Friday's show at The Rogers Centre was beautiful. Bruce Springsteen is now 62 years of age and not showing any sign he's giving up.  He walked on that stage at 8pm and gave 150% for almost 4 hours straight.  His set list included 29 songs ranging from all decades and styles throughout his career.  Oh yeah and The E Street Band might very well be the finest band on the planet.

I was almost in tears (joy & sorrow) when he gave this speech at the 50 second mark of 'My City of Ruins'.  Keep in mind that this was simply the 7th song into the evening.  These guys gave more in the opening songs than most bands do in a 2nd encore.  This was a truly religious experience if I've ever seen one.

Here are a few links that will give you a better sense of how this evening went down...

'Waiting On A Sunny Day'  (little girl comes and sings the chorus with him)
'Working On A Highway' (Opener)
'Thunder Road / Born to Run / Rosalita / Dancing In The Dark"

Here's a couple classic Bruce Springsteen tracks I'll never grow tired of...
'Because The Night' (1978)
'Hungry Heart' (1984)
'My Hometown' (1984)
'Tunnel of Love' (1987)
'Murder Incorporated' (1995)
'Radio Nowhere' (2007)
'Death To My Hometown' (2012)

The catalogue is deep and it's time for me to dive in a little deeper.

If you have the chance to see this man live the rest assured he won't disappoint.  Bruce Springsteen truly is the hardest working man in showbiz.  Period.

Thank you for reading/listening.

Gregg Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment