Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Name A Better Song Than Stompa!

Is there a better song out there than Serena Ryder's 'Stompa'?  I personally don't think so because it has everything I could ever wish for in a rock song.  It starts out with a dirty guitar riff and a droning echo vocal sound in the background.  As Serena's vocals kick in you realize that this chick is bad ass.  The harmonies and back-up singing are perfect.  This is the best song in the world right now.


The first time I heard this track I instantly pictured Lykke Li  fronting The Black Keys in the basement of Toronto's Dakota Tavern.  That too me is pretty fucking magical.



I've enjoyed a few tracks by Serena in recent years but was more familiar with her name than I was her music.  The one song I recall most was a track called 'A Little Bit Of Red' heard here...


Serena Ryder's latest album entitled 'Harmony' is out now and features 9 other amazing tracks and I highly recommend you pick it up, download it or stream it.  Whatever you do start with 'Stompa' and thank me later.

Here are a few other beauty tracks I'd like to recommend you give a spin.  I am also very proud to say that they're all by Canadian artists.

Moka Only - 'Tighten Up'
  • This guys is a Canadian legend in Hip Hop.  It's perfect.  He did vocals on many of Swollen Members big hits throughout the years - and was featured on many other tracks.  This is my favourite thing he's done and I can't wait to get my hands on this album now.


The Sheepdogs - 'Alright Ok'
  • I want to get in a car and drive across the country smoking ciggys when I hear this track and I don't even smoke.  I am a fan of these guys and the whole new album is worth a spin.  They might be the hardest working acts in the country today and deserve everything that comes to them.  Go see them live you will agree with me I promise.

K-os - 'Nyce To Know You'
  • I've heard 2 tracks from this album and it's fantastic.  I hope that the rest of it is equally if not better.  This guy has had a lengthy career thus far - but this seems like a new direction and I for one like where he's going.


Hollerado - 'Pick Me Up'
  • This is one of the most whacked videos I've ever seen - but it doesn't matter because the song is killer.  The lyrics are great and this song really should be on charts around the world.  I'm pretty sure that acid has made a come back in Hollerado's camp.


Japandroids - 'The House That Heaven Built'
  • I admit I slept on this one - but better late than never.  It came it as the #1 track on The Strombo Hundo and kicked me in the ass when I heard it there.  I had heard it before but needed to hear it in context like this.  Damn is this a killer rock track.

Thanks for reading/listening,

Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment