Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Best Concerts of 2013

*Phoenix at Garrison Commons
Toronto's easily one of the best places on earth if you like to go and see live music. On any given night there are multiple options from stadiums, soft-seaters to tiny little holes in the wall.  It's fantastic.

I try my best to make it out to as many of these shows as I can.  Luckily I get invited from label friends to many shows I wouldn't other wise know about.  It's tough to keep up with all the happenings - I don't care what your title is.  So thanks to those who drag me out.

2013 was another exceptional time in music and I got to see some real beauties.  From Stubbs in Austin to the world's greatest venue Massey Hall in Toronto - it was one hell of a year for me.  

Here's a list of my favourite concerts from this past year in no particular order.  However Frank Turner at Lee's was kind of a religious experience if I must say.

Depeche Mode at Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto.

Foy Vance at The Drake Underground in Toronto

Franz Ferdinand at Kool Haus in Toronto

Of Monsters and Men at Echo Beach in Toronto

Swedish House Mafia at Rogers Centre in Toronto

Jake Bugg at Maggie Mays in Austin

Sound City Players at Stubbs BBQ in Austin

Frank Turner at Lee's Palace in Toronto

The Weeknd at MOD Club in Toronto

Biffy Clyro at Opera House in Toronto

There were many more - but those are the top 10 stand out shows for me this year.  

I didn't film any of these so I apologize if they are terrible in advance.  I wasn't surprised that I was able to find something on YouTube that was specific to each of these shows as there are a sea of cameras going at all shows these days.  The only one I couldn't find anything for was Foy Vance - and I think that's because he asked people not to.  Now I'm guilty of taking photos at shows - or perhaps even the odd clip for instagram - but I don't really see the point in filming a full show.  Get yourself 2 drinks so that you can't even shoot reach for your phone.  It always makes for a better show.

Thanks for reading/listening.

Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment