Monday, August 24, 2009

Canadian Radio = Balls

Hello friends,

I had last week off from work and decided to take some time away from Twitter and Facebook. Get back to basic really. It was liberating to not be looking at my blackberry every five second (albeit I did out of habit - just didn't reply). I borrowed car to go away for a night and learned about radio and it's nasty ways.



I swear to you that in the 2 days I spent in a car I heard the following 3 songs at least 10 times each...


          1. Lady Gaga - 'Papprazzi'

          2. Kings of Leon - 'Use Somebody'

          3. Black Eyed Peas - 'I Gotta Feeling'


          I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with these songs - because I know that they are great pop songs. The problem is that this is all that Canadian radio is playing these days. I had the radio of scan and I could not differencieate between any station other than a rock on out of St. Catherines. Don't get me started on that - these stations have not updated a playlist since 87.



          The good thing that came of this was that I now know that we (the media types) have our work cut-out for us and need to do a better job of letting people know what is out there by way of new music and interesting music that will excite and keep them smiling.



          Here's a top 5 tunes tht should be on radio in Canada today...



          1. Daniel Merriweather - 'Change'

          2. Little Boots - 'Remedy'

          3. Snow Patrol - 'The Planets Bend Between Us'

          4. Bloc Party - 'One More Chance'

          5. La Roux - 'Bulletproof' (this one pains me to say as I really hate it - but 'good music is good music')

          Give real radio a chance.

          Hope you're doing well - speak soon!



          Gregg

          No comments:

          Post a Comment