Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Tragically Hip

Hello Friends,

Friday night was a very special night for the world. 'Hope for Haiti Now' was broadcast globally with some of the world's finest singing their hearts out to raise funds for Earthquake Relief. In Canada the musicians, stars and broadcasters came together to do their own "lead-in telethon" called 'Canada for Haiti'.

The highlight for me was seeing Canada's band, The Tragically Hip, perform and acoustic version of 'Fiddler's Green'. I have only ever seen this live in concert once before.

The Tragically Hip have been a big part of my life since I was a mere 13 years old. They will always hold a place in my heart and each album acts as part of the soundtrack to my life.

For me this was this band that drove me to seek a career in the music industry. I interned at their record label, Universal Music, for the simple reason I would have the chance to work on their albums.

The summer I began interning at Universal was when The Hip were set to release 'Music At Work'. This album spawned a couple hit singles including the title track and 'Stay'. It truly was a dream come true.

Like them or not - there's no denying their impact on Canadian music and culture over the past 27 years. From their humble beginnings at Queens University in Kingston, Saturday Night Live in 1995 , the main stage at Woodstock in 1999 and the Glen Gould stage this past Friday night. This band is a very a big part of an entire generation of Canadians. *There has been a million other big shows and highlights in and around these I've just mentioned. I know as I've been to about 75 of them:)

With 12 studio albums, a couple of live albums and a box set - this band has evolved with the times in the best possible way.

I doubt that majority of the band's fans have even given some of the later albums the time of day - which is sad. They really have grown musically and the writing is forever more intelligent and though provoking.

I could go on about these guys forever. Instead I will give you my Cole's notes, beginner's guide to The Tragically Hip.

This list consists of my favourite track from each of their albums and a few extras...
On February 4th The Tragically Hip's lead singer Gord Downie will be in concert with another great Canadian songwriter Gordon Lightfoot. It's going to be a special night as Gordon Lightfoot is someone my father loved when he first came to Canada in the 60s. The best of both worlds on one stage for one hell of a musical experience. I Can't wait as my Dad and I will be in attendance at that show.

Ps - A little know fact is that Welsh superstars, The Stereophonics, used to cover The Hip when they were a young band called 'Tragic Love Company' named after their 3 favourite bands (The Tragically Hip, Mother Love Bone and Bad Company). Check out the track 'Could You Be The One' line 3 if you don't believe me. Here's them covering 'Fiddler's Green'.

Pss - Tim Holley can attest for the 75 shows - he was right there with me.

Thanks for reading.

Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment